What causes increase in SGPT level?

Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist

Posted on Mon, 14 Jul 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Hi. I am 34 years male weighing 86 kgs. My biochemical tests show serum total bilirubin 0.89 in reference range 0.1 to 1.1, serum direct bilirubin 0.49 in reference range 0 to 0.6 (indirect 0.4), SGPT (ALT) 87 in reference range 0 to 50, Serum Alkaline Phosphate 63 in reference range 30 to 120. Please hep me understand what does this mean. What is the risk factor?
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Incresed SGPT indicates liver injury.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX
Thanks for writing to HCM

I have gone through your reports in detail.
Increased SGPT indicates liver injury.You need proper clinical examination and few more investigations.
You need investigations like routine hemogram,Lipid profile,Renal function test,Viral markers,GGT level,Ultrasound of abdomen.Further investigations can be done if needed.

You should avoid fried and junk food and try to decrease your weight.
You should take tablet Ursodeoxycholic acid 300 mg twice daily for three months.It will help in regeneration of liver cells.
You should increase your physical activity in the form of exercise and walking.

You should avoid alcohol if you take it.

Please get at least lipid profile and ultrasound of abdomen done. Ultrasound of abdomen is important to know the condition of liver.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX