What causes immobility of palm joint after falling?

Posted on Tue, 16 Jun 2015 in Back Pain
Question: My son accidently fell while playing, he seems to have paint in his hand below his palm. he is able to move his fingers, moved around elbow but, he cannot move his palm joint. There is no wound outside nor there is swelling.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Fracture likely.

Detailed Answer:
I have seen the photo attached. Since after the fall your son is not able to move the wrist joint, the chances of fracture are present.
You need to get an X-ray of the joint done to find out the injury.
Till then for relief use the RICE formula:
•Rest.
•Ice. Apply cold packs or ice wrapped in a towel for short periods of time, several times a day.
•Compression- you can tie a crepe bandage in the area for relief.
•Elevation- Keep the wrist elevated on two pillows or use an arm sling.
He can take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications such as aspirin or ibuprofen if he needs more pain relief.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon