What causes high blood pressure in the morning hours?

Question
I am 60 years old, have an active lifestyle, have been doing cardio exercises all my life, No BP, No Sugar, Cholesterol marginally high, triglycerides normal / lower side, Good HDL / LDL raito. Height 5'8" weight 67kg, doing 40 mins of treadmill at 7Km/hr at an incline of 7 degrees every alternate day

Of recent i have started getting high BP after Bowel Movement, I have about 750 ml of XXXXXXX warm water first thing in the morning,
After staying high at 145/ 90 in morning hours BP goes back to normal about 2 hours after lunch 135/85

Not able to understand it, please guide
Wed, 30 May 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Increasing dietary fiber intake should help.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. It is good to know that you are health conscious and are doing fine.

Morning higher blood pressure is usually circadian. Limit your salt intake and that should care of the issues. Another issue to bear in mind that unless the dietary fiber intake is good you would need to strain while passing stools and that could bring up your blood pressure. Increasing the dietary fiber intake should help.

Fiber rich food items include:
* Apples, pears, parsnip, berries, raspberries, kumquats, guavas, squash, oranges, passion fuit, avocado, blackberries, pomogranate, currants, persimmons, kiwi fruits, figs, bananas, blueberries, cherries, apricots, strawberries, tangerines, papaya, mangoes, pineapple, plums, litchi, grapes, watermelon
* Broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, lettuce, brussels sprout, carrots, leafy vegetables and spinach, amaranth, artichokes, green peas, collard greens, XXXXXXX sweet potato, okra, fennel, eggplant/brinjal, sweetcorn, beets, turnip, asparagus, onions
* Legumes, beans, lentils, chickpeas, celery, soybean, navy beans, cranberry beans, french beans
* Whole grains, quinoa, brown rice, millets and oats, squash and pumpkin seeds, seasame seeds, dried coconut, almonds,
* Mushrooms
* Flax seeds, chia seeds, corn XXXXXXX

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow-up: What causes high blood pressure in the morning hours? 1 hour later
I eat bowls full of greens / rough edge every day + 2-3 helpings of fruits , grated carrots / radish along with Triphla alternate days, in fact I am not constipated at all, this situation puzzles me to no ends, can you think of anything ...?

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Let us find a pattern

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the update. The very physical strain of passing stool could be contributory.

Could you measure the blood pressure thrice a day and let me know? I would guide you accordingly. Be sure to lower the total amount of salt intake.