• question-icon

What causes high blood pressure despite taking medication?

Posted on Wed, 19 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My Dr. just put me on 50 mg of Losartan 1x per day, because I my BP is not responding well enough to 200 mg of Metoprolol, 20 mg of Doxasosin and 1 mg of Hydrochlorothiside per day. He wants me to take the Losartan IN ADDITION to the other 3 drugs, every day. Is it OK in your opinion to take all of these four drugs in the same day? My BP has been about 160/99 before starting the Losartan.

Thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello Sir

After going through the medical details provided by you I would like to tell you that the normal recommended range of Bp for an adult is upto 140/90 mmhg.

So if your blood pressure is not coming within that range with all these medicines then there's a need to start one more to control your Bp to desired range.

It's also a wise decsison to add another group of medicine instead of just hiking up dose of one medicine to maximum as it also increase the side effects of that medicine.

Yes it's ok to add losartan to existing medicines.

Here I would also like to advise you to stick to healthy lifestyle habits along with medicines for a holistic approach to blood pressure control.

I hope this information will answer your query.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Bhanu Partap 6 hours later
Thanks! I think my last follow-up got lost. How long until I can expect positive results from adding the Losartan to the existing 3 medicine. Days? Weeks?
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello again

Detailed Answer:
It varies from patient to patient however ideally the effect should be visible within a week time.

If you have any other doubts you can ask me back or else you can close the discussion and kindly rate the answer.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist