• question-icon

What causes hiccups and throat pain after swallowing solid food?

Posted on Wed, 9 Aug 2017 in General Health
Question: My 84 year old husband ate chicken breast too quickly (4 hours ago) and contracted hiccups.
His body is producing copious amounts of mucus, and he cannot swallow without pain.
Could this be a stricture of the esophagus? Can you tell me how to dilate it?

how long will it take for an answer?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Is he able to drink water and keep it down?

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for this query.

From the information provided, this could be that food is stuck in the oesophagus. If this is the case, he will be in pain and be unable to swallow his own saliva and water. If this is the scenario, then he needs to be examined by a gastroenterologist and an upper endoscopy done. If he is able to drink and swallow his saliva, most likely he has just pain related to a large bolus and nothing else-in this case, we can monitor.

There is no way you can dilate the oesophagus at home. It is a very complex process and done only in hospitals by specialist gastroenterologists.

I hope to hear back from you on what his specific case is for more definitive insights and guidance.

Waiting....
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Chobufo Ditah