What causes heaviness in arms along with chest pain and headache?

Dr. Prasanna Heijebu

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: As I walk for few seconds, my both arms start feeling heavy, I feel chest pain and headache. I'm 58 years old female and also suffering from asthma from last 15 yrs now. None of the doctors are able to diagnose why I feel heaviness in arms, chest pain and headache while walking.
If I take rest for few minutes these all pains get vanished but as soon as I start walking it comes up again.
Answered by Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible Vascular disease.Need Confirmation.

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Madam.

I understand your concern.

These leg symptoms indicate-Intermittent Claudication.It warrants a thorough search of total vascular system of the body

Your symptoms possibly reflect early stages of a peripheral vascular disease.
Underlying atherosclerosis can be an etiology considering your age and sex.But this needs confirmation.

Baseline investigations are strongly recommended in your case which include the following.

1.Duplex Colour Doppler of both legs.
2.Carotid Doppler scan.
3.Ultrasound Echo of the heart.

Once these investigations are done, further action can be planned.

Post your further queries if any.
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 19 days later
Hi Doctor XXXXXXX

I've been showing to Dr. JP Wali who asked me for certain blood tests, ECG, Chest Xray, PFT and Echo of the heart.

I have attached all those reports here along with the prescription that lists the medicines that I'm taking currently. Basically there are 3 tablets, one for allergy, second for Cholestrol control and third for Iron as he said I'm a bit anaemic.
He said that otherwise everything else is fine and I just need to reduce my weight. I'm 72 Kgs and my height is 5'2".
I'm feeling a bit better now after taking that allergy pill but I still have the same symptoms of getting my arms heavy, headache etc. while walking.
Let me know, if you think I should go for some other tests.

Thanks

Brief Answer:
Your doctor prescribed you right medications

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Madam.

I understand your concern.

I have gone through the uploaded images.

You have got all the required investigations done.

No further tests are needed.

Your doctor has prescribed you the right set of medications.

Weight reduction, antilipid medications, antiallergic drugs will soon help you to feel good.

Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 1 hour later
Thanks doctor, does it mean that I don't have any vascular disease?
But what about the issues that I'm having. I'm having these issues while walking since 7-8 yrs now.
Dr. has asked me to take these medicines for 1 month and then come for the review.
Do you also have the same opinion?
Answered by Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Vascular scans can only rule out vascular disease.

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Madam.

Vascular disease cannot be ruled out completely with your tests.

A carotid doppler and duplex colour doppler scan of legs is a must to rule out the condition.

As you said the symptoms are on for 7-8 years , I advise you to get the above two tests at the earliest.

Additionally I also advise you to get Serum Homocysteine and Lip A levels.

These two can be markers of any vascular disease like atherosclerosis.

You can continue the prescribed medications as usual.

But try to get these tests within a week.

Update me test reports.

Post your further queries if any.
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj