What causes heartburn after taking Atenolol?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I took 2 -50 mg tabs of Atenolol within 12 hour time frame not realizing until now. that I am having heartburn symptoms, and burning in my chest. I know a lot of people take more than this,on a daily basis, and it was an oversight on my part. I remember reading in instructions, that not to take if forgot/double dose, which it had been about 12 hours since I took the last one. Hoping this will pass and not to worry until it goes through my system when not used to this amount in such a short tine period of time?
Answered by Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Should check blood pressure and pulse

Detailed Answer:
Dear Mrs,

You should check your pulse and blood pressure. If pulse is not below 55, and you don't have low blood pressure, then you don't have serious side effects.
But if you have heartburn, it can be something not related to Atenolol.
It can be caused by stomach problems or cardiac problems.

Hope I could help you.

Wishing you good health

In case of further questions don't hesitate to ask

Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan

Cardiologist