What causes heart palpitations?
Anxiety can cause your symptoms
Thanks for writing in to us.
I have read through your query in detail.
Most people have palpitations as a result of anxiety. Anxiety is the commonest cause for palpitations for a few seconds and if your heart examination is normal, you may need to get evaluated for increased stress related anxiety.
ECG is a basic cardiology investigation to measure the electrical activity of the heart. If it is normal then I suppose there is no reason to worry. However if you have a strong family history of heart diseases and hypertension then getting a complete cardiology examination including an echocardiography may help to rule out any heart disorders.
In a small number of patients, palpitations can result from thyroid dysfunction (hyperthyroidism). You may get tested for thyroid also if you otherwise have no stress related anxiety.
Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Heart palpitations caused by gastritis
- Inflammation that causes heart palpitations
- Heart palpitations causing insomnia
- Onion causing heart palpitations
- What can cause heart palpitations
- Heart palpitations caused by sneezing
- Heart palpitations cause coughing
- What causes heart palpitations symptoms
- What is the cause and treatment for heart palpitations
- What causes minor heart palpitations