What causes heart palpitations?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2014
May 2014

Radiologist
Question
I had ECG and its normal, but i have heart Palpitation last fir a few second. Do i need to have another test please ? Thank you
Posted Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Anxiety can cause your symptoms

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
Most people have palpitations as a result of anxiety. Anxiety is the commonest cause for palpitations for a few seconds and if your heart examination is normal, you may need to get evaluated for increased stress related anxiety.

ECG is a basic cardiology investigation to measure the electrical activity of the heart. If it is normal then I suppose there is no reason to worry. However if you have a strong family history of heart diseases and hypertension then getting a complete cardiology examination including an echocardiography may help to rule out any heart disorders.

In a small number of patients, palpitations can result from thyroid dysfunction (hyperthyroidism). You may get tested for thyroid also if you otherwise have no stress related anxiety.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek