What causes heart palpitations with shortness of breath?

Dr. Meriton Siqeca

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 31 Aug 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Every now and then I feel like my heart jumps. The feeling is almost exactly like the feeling you get when you are surprised, shocked, or suddenly startled, except I get the feeling for no apparent reason. I have felt these symptoms in the past, and they went away for about 6 months, but now they have come back. Every hour or so it will feel like my heart jumps suddenly.
Answered by Dr. Meriton Siqeca 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to be worried about

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to HCM. I understand your concern.

This is called a palpitation and it is a clinical symptom which may also be associated with shortness of breath. Now, this is caused by extrasystoles, which are premature beats which arise from other parts of the heart muscle, not from the natural pacemaker of the heart - the sinus node. After this happens, sinus node quickly "takes over", and it produces a normal, yet more forceful, beat, which is clearly sensed by the subject. That causes palpitation. Extrasystoles may happen some times a day in every healthy human being, and they are particularly found in young, energetic ages. They may be caused by excessive physical or psychological stress, caffeine beverages, alcohol etc. Therefore, I think there is nothing to be worried about and no further action should be undertaken.

I hope I was helpful with my answer. I am happy to help, if you have follow-up questions.

Kind regards,
Dr. Meriton
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee