What causes heart murmurs and shortness of breath?

Posted on Wed, 18 Mar 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have a heart murmur that causes blood from the right side of my heart (non-oxygenated) to leak into the left side (oxygenated). This causes me to be out of breath quite often. How do we fix it?
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
septal defect

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for your question. It sounds like you have a septal defect between either the atria or the ventricles. The septum is the piece of heart muscle that goes between the atria and also between the two ventricles. A septal defect is really a hole between either the atria or the ventricles. Blood flowing across this defect causes a murmur. When you heart contracts then the blood not only goes where it is supposed to but also can leak across the defect mixing oxygenated blood with non-oxygenated blood. The only way to repair this is with surgery. You will need to consult a cardiothoracic surgeon who can discuss the possible surgical repairs for you.
Dr. Robinson
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Kathy Robinson