• question-icon

What causes headache followed by numbness in the mouth?

Posted on Wed, 12 Oct 2016 in Headache and Migraines
Question: head ache sinus burning followed by numbness in mouth almost like chemical
Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possible migraine headaches

Detailed Answer:
Good evening and thank you for your question.

Your symptoms are actually quite classic for MIGRAINE type of headaches. They are often MISdiagnosed as sinus congestion or even headaches because of the rich innervation of the Trigeminal nerve's supply of the sinus cavities and skin over the frontal and nasal skin regions which causes burning, pressure, and even congestion feelings. The numbness in the mouth is referred to part of the perioral paresthesias that occur in about 1/3 of migraine patients.

The best option in my opinion is to find a doctor well versed in headaches such as either a NEUROLOGIST or NEUROLOGIST/HEADACHE SPECIALIST. If these symptoms have come on in the past then, the best thing to get started on would be to keep a detailed diary (downloadable from the internet) of your symptoms especially if XXXXXXX headaches are present. Then, your doctor can analyze the diary along with you to explain whether or not you may be suffering from episodic headaches or chronic headaches.

That way it can be determined whether or not you are best given a regimen of PROPHYLAXIS, ABORTIVE, or a combination of BOTH treatments depending on how your diary and log entries look.

If I've adequately answered your questions could you do me a huge favor by CLOSING THE QUERY and being sure to include some fine words of feedback along with a 5 STAR rating if you feel my answers/suggestions have helped? Again, many thanks for posing your questions and please let me know how things turn out.

Do not forget to contact me in the future at: www.bit.ly/drdariushsaghafi for additional questions, comments, or concerns having to do with this topic or others.

This query has utilized a total of 43 minutes of professional time in research, review, and synthesis for the purpose of formulating a return statement.
Dr. Dariush Saghafi

Neurologist