What causes hard white lesion on nipple?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 2 Aug 2014 in Lump
Question: I just found a hard white lesion about 1/6 inch protruding from my nipple. I am away from home until the end of the month. Should I seek immediate MD care now and if not, what can I do about this? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Any breast lesion should be always checked with possible breast cancer. Especially if its hard and painless. Please try to palpate your breast and see if this lesion is located in the breast or above it (in the skin).
If there is some pain, redness and discharge, inflammation is possible.
In case of inflammation, you should go to the doctor right away.
If there is no pain, redness, no need to go to ER or seek the doctor right away. You may wait few days with it. But for sure do not wait till the end of the month.
Breast ultrasound should be done and in case of tumor, biopsy should be done.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 22 minutes later
can one get a subacious gland located at the center of the nipple and if so, what needs to be done with this?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
.

Detailed Answer:
Well, it is possible. This glands are everywhere in the skin. But there needs to be an inflammation of such gland to cause a lump. Inflammation usually gives also redness and pain. In such case you should consult dermatologist.

Regards.