question-icon

What causes greenish rectal discharge while on Detox smoothie?

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016
Question: I have been taking a detox smoothie at the local spa for three days and now I am experiencing green oily drops passing from my rectum, both during a bowel movement and also during abdominal exercise. What is that? Bile from a liver cleanse?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Unlikely to be bile leak

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome

I appreciate your concern

No its unlikely to be bile leaking.

Many drugs and food items can impart a variety of color to the stool. If you are concerned then a stool exam should be done to look for any abnormality.
Due to the the detox this green texture may persist for 24 hours. Most likely it will normalise in 24 to 48 hours. If it persist beyond this period then you should get tested.

please consult your doctor before taking any further course of action

let me know if you have any query

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Dr M.S Khalil.
Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil