• question-icon

What causes general anxiety and agoraphobia while on Cipralex?

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in Mental Health
Question: hello i started in Feb 2010 on seroxat 20 mg and on XXXXXXX 2016 my doctor raised my dosage to 40 mg as it pooped out and it pooped out again on XXXXXXX 2017 and doctor changed to cipralex 20 mg which i am taking now . But i do not feel its doing well for me as i am still having anxiety and a bit of agoraphobia .
i will be seeing him in 3 weeks but do u recommend ?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
I think augmenting will be better option

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand that despite the use of two antidepressants with adequate dosing there is limited help offered till date.

Now regarding the next option I will recommend following

1. If you have some or partial response with cipralex than I think we can continue
with it and we need to augment its action with use of other medications which may be A SNRI, Mirtazapine or B blockers. I often use mirtazapine as first choice to augment the effect of SSRI (Cipralex) when there is inadequate response.

2. If you have no effect with cipralex there is no need to continue with it and this need to be replaced with some other antidepressant such as pristiq or effexor. I will recommend SNRI here as two SSRI group of medications failed to have a optimum effect till date.

As per our earlier interaction I am aware that you had some response with cipralex and if that effect is persistent the first option have more merits.

Considering the presence of anxiety and depression I feel pristiq can be used as second option. The pristiq is an antidepressant and indicated for anxiety as well as depression. In similar cases I start with 50 mg a day and increase to 100 mg per days after five days of use.

I hope this helps you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards.
Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist