Can Venlafaxine dosage be adjusted without doctor's consent?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Mental Health
Question: I don’t think 375g of Effexor is working, Can I add to it?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would not suggest adding to the prescribed dose on your own.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. I do not think that you should self-adjust the dose. Rather you should visit your doctor and get his insights on whether dose modification would help. I would not suggest adding to the prescribed dose on your own.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 5 minutes later
Thank you, in your opinion is 375g of Venlafaxine a high dose?

I used to take 200mg of sertraline and was doing great but then I suffered a mental trauma and they switched my medication to Venlafaxine. Could you possibly have any idea why they switched my meds, and they did it quickly.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need to discuss with your treating physician

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. I am not aware of the exact reason for which they changed the medicine. That is the reason for which you need to talk to your doctor about change of the dose and medicine. 375g of Venlafaxine is a high dose but that does not mean that it is inappropriately high.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 minutes later
Thank you, final question. Is Venlafaxine stronger than sertraline?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Mode of action different

Detailed Answer:
It is not about one being stronger than the other. Their mode of action is different and so it is like comparing apples with oranges.