Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

134 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What causes fungal skin infection around the scrotum and pubic area?

Answered by
Dr. Hardik Pitroda


Practicing since :2010

Answered : 1489 Questions

Posted on Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My balls and the region around it is all itchy, my balls are also red and wet and the regions around it looks like small blisters. I have had this problem many a times but it automatically becomes fine but this time it has been more than a week and the problem still persists. My balls also pain some times, I am really worried. Is masturbation one of the causes?
Answered by Dr. Hardik Pitroda 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Oral and topical antifungals

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting on HCM

From your description and review of photographs, it seems you have got Tinea, a sort of fungal skin infection.

I would recommend you consult a dermatologist for proper management.

I generally recommend proper course of oral antifungal drug like fluconazole / itraconazole for 4-6 weeks.

I would recommend local application of sertaconazole or luliconazole cream over affected areas for 8 weeks for complete resolution of infection.

Take oral antihistaminics for itching as required.
Maintain hygiene and avoid tight undergarments.
Avoid sharing of soap and towel and other garments.

Hope this will take care of your problem.
Let me know if you require any more assistance from my side.

Thank you
Dr Hardik Pitroda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Hardik Pitroda 45 minutes later
Thank you for your answer. This was for all the skin problems, but what about the pain in the scrotum, is that also a symptom of tinea, and what should we do to prevent this in the future.
Answered by Dr. Hardik Pitroda 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again
I dont think the pain is related to tinea. If pain persists for longer period do consult a surgeon.
For prevention of tinea, as I advised earlier avoid tight fitting clothes and undergarments. Maintain proper hygiene.
Also avoid sharing of soap and towel.

Wish you best of health,
Take care
Dr Hardik Pitroda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Hardik Pitroda 2 hours later
My whole pubic region becomes too wet, it also wets my underpants. What should I do, should I keep wiping it? Please tell me what is that which is coming out, is it healing because it smells very bad!
Answered by Dr. Hardik Pitroda 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Use dusting powder

Detailed Answer:

The 'wetting' you have quoted is nothing but excess perspiration and discharge from fungal rash. It smells foul because of bacterial decomposition of the dischage and sweat. I would recomend a regular use of antifungal dusting powder to keep area dry and decrease the fungal growth.

Take care
Dr Hardik Pitroda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Drug/Medication ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Fungal rash

doctor1 MD

Dear sir, Greetings of the day!!! My son one year old having fever and he is having skin reaction since one week. He is having severe itching on his private part. We have consulted doctor who prescribed following medicine's 1. oinment Derma dew...

doctor1 MD

I have a red rash around the anus, what is the cure?

doctor1 MD

Hello My 17 year old daughter has had the following symptoms within the past several months : Since April 2016 - rash w red bumps that show up on different parts of the body off and on....itchy at times Around two months ago - mucus buildup w...

doctor1 MD

Hello Doctor, I have fungal infection on my thighs that leads to rashes & the whole area gets black in color. I have been having this problem on & off for quite sometime now. I used to use Tinaderm solution and it used to give me temporary relief. But now it s not available. I went to a dermatologist who has given me Citrezol...have been taking it for 3 weeks now but it s just slightly reduced..not fully gone. Is there a substitute for Tinaderm? Is there a permanent cure for this fungal rash?? Please help I am so fed up of this problem. Also I get this only when I am in India. Never had this in UK...and I find I get this rash when I use synthetic clothes :(

doctor1 MD

Rashes, swollen joints, muscle pain, fatigue, body aches 24 hours a day. Doctor says fungus rash . I think I have lupus. White blood cell 3.0 and even protein in my kidneys at one point. ANA positive once And lab results said Sjogren's. weight goes up and down, sleep problems. I'm very sick and doctors said they cannot do anything else for me. Medicine doctors have given me don't seem to work. Doctors says it might be fibromyalgia also

doctor1 MD

I had a fungal rash that turned into dry itchy skin and due to scratching , it has become a rash and has spread to palm size in my gential area. It is red with little bumps and very itchy. It was weeping but now is dry. The skin is really smooth and sensitive and itchy. How can I get rid of this and get my skin back to normal? I m hesitant to use hydrocortisone but out of desperation I feel like I may have to. Please let me know what your suggestions are.