What causes fungal skin infection around the scrotum and pubic area?

Dr. Hardik Pitroda

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My balls and the region around it is all itchy, my balls are also red and wet and the regions around it looks like small blisters. I have had this problem many a times but it automatically becomes fine but this time it has been more than a week and the problem still persists. My balls also pain some times, I am really worried. Is masturbation one of the causes?
Answered by Dr. Hardik Pitroda 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Oral and topical antifungals

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thank you for posting on HCM

From your description and review of photographs, it seems you have got Tinea, a sort of fungal skin infection.

I would recommend you consult a dermatologist for proper management.

I generally recommend proper course of oral antifungal drug like fluconazole / itraconazole for 4-6 weeks.

I would recommend local application of sertaconazole or luliconazole cream over affected areas for 8 weeks for complete resolution of infection.

Take oral antihistaminics for itching as required.
Maintain hygiene and avoid tight undergarments.
Avoid sharing of soap and towel and other garments.

Hope this will take care of your problem.
Let me know if you require any more assistance from my side.

Thank you
Dr Hardik Pitroda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Hardik Pitroda 45 minutes later
Thank you for your answer. This was for all the skin problems, but what about the pain in the scrotum, is that also a symptom of tinea, and what should we do to prevent this in the future.
Answered by Dr. Hardik Pitroda 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
----

Detailed Answer:
Hello again
I dont think the pain is related to tinea. If pain persists for longer period do consult a surgeon.
For prevention of tinea, as I advised earlier avoid tight fitting clothes and undergarments. Maintain proper hygiene.
Also avoid sharing of soap and towel.

Wish you best of health,
Dr Hardik Pitroda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Hardik Pitroda 2 hours later
My whole pubic region becomes too wet, it also wets my underpants. What should I do, should I keep wiping it? Please tell me what is that which is coming out, is it healing because it smells very bad!
Answered by Dr. Hardik Pitroda 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Use dusting powder

Detailed Answer:

The 'wetting' you have quoted is nothing but excess perspiration and discharge from fungal rash. It smells foul because of bacterial decomposition of the dischage and sweat. I would recomend a regular use of antifungal dusting powder to keep area dry and decrease the fungal growth.

Dr Hardik Pitroda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T