What causes frequent headache, nausea and numbness in hands with history of migraine?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 24 Aug 2016 in General Health
Question: I am getting frequent headaches. I was diagnosed with migraine with aura about 10 years ago. At that time I was basically advised to go off contraceptive pill and reassured it's nothing to worry about. I had maybe 2 episodes of it per year.

Lately I feel my headaches are getting more frequent and without a clear pattern. It is accompanied often with nausea. I generally feel a constant pressure in my head that lasts for days somewhat like having a hangover. Sometimes I feel numbness in my hands or tingling sensation. It worries me. Yesterday I have seen an aura at two different occasions - like an aura around a person. I am not particularly spiritual so I thought it must have been connected to my headache that is there for second day in a row. That same day morning I had an episode of extreme dizziness feeling - very sudden and brief , I thought I will faint. It happened in the morning while sitting on the bed. Numbness of hands were present for about an hour after that. But it didn't stop me from regular activities (driving kids to school).
I was wondering if I should get checked up by a specialist or do I just live with it and optimistically think it's nothing.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You should get evaluated.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I have noted your symptoms. The most likely cause could be an aggravation of migraine symptoms. However, it is not common for this to happen after several years of being near normal.

So, I would feel it is better to get checked up by a Neurologist. If necessary, a brain scan may be done.

There is no need to worry, as whatever be the cause, it can be treated with medicines.

I sincerely hope my reply has helped you.

I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information.

Best wishes,     
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX
My blog: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.com/