Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

What causes fever, chills, chest congestion and strong ammonia smell in urine?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 1416 Questions
Hello, I have fever between 102.7- 103.4 I've had for 4 days now,also I have chills,my eye are sore and dry, have cough, chest congestion nose runny,body aches ,my urine smells like ammonia, also I'm diabetic my numbers are between 145 -210
Wed, 23 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need chest x-ray and Urinalysis as well as antibiotics

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, you symptoms are consistent with an acute attack of respiratory tract infection and to rule out pneumonia a baseline chest X-ray is mandatory.

Your urinary symptoms also need to be evaluated by a urinalysis to look for any pus cells and urine culture if so. If cough is accompanied with sputum , sputum culture and sensitivity may also be needed.

Meanwhile analgesics like acetaminophen or Ibuprofen for fever and anti histamines like cetrizine or loratidine should be started. Decongestants should also be started and steam inhalations will also work. Citrosoda XXXXXXX for urinary symptoms can be helpful. But for proper cure antibiotics appear to be unavoidable. Antibiotics like quinolones can help with both however after cultures can be reviewed if needed. Sugar control should be ensured with proper dietary and drugs compliance.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor