What causes feeling of lump in throat?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I recently had thumb surgery and am having a hard time recovering. I feel like there's a lump of cotton in my throat and I feel nauseous and a little dizzy. I am coughing up a lot of phlegm but it's clear. It's been two weeks since surgery. Will these symptoms go away soon? I've never had this experience with past surgeries.
Answered by Dr. Baranidharan Kuselan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Globus

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,
Thanks for using HCM.

Feeling of lump in the throat is called globus pharyngeus.
There are many causes for globus.

Since you developed this symptom after surgery and is also nauseous, the most likely cause is gastroesophageal reflux disease.

You can take OTC prilosec once daily before breakfast for 4 weeks for relief.

I hope that answers your query.
Let me know if you have any more questions.
Dr.Barani
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Baranidharan Kuselan

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist