What causes feeling of fainting with black spots in vision and thanatophobia?

Dr. Prasanna Heijebu

Posted on Mon, 18 Jul 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My son is 14 years old has been seeing a lot of black spots, he feels like he is going to pass out and says he feels "off". He also says he feels like he is going to die. He also says he feels like his heart is racing but when I take his pulse it is normal. We have been to a lot of doctors but no conclusive answers.
Answered by Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible Panic disorder?

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Sir.

I can certainly understand your concern.

I have worked through your query in detail.

As, per your clinical narration, your son likely has Panic disorder.

Since all the major investigations have turned normal,organic brain and heart pathology is ruled out.

But with regards to black spots in front of the eyes, a direct ophthalmoscopic examination has to be carried out to rule out fundus pathology of eye.

With regards to his other current symptoms, psychological assessment is needed.Consultation with an expert Adolescent psychiatrist is needed.

A short course of medications like SSRI's and Benzodiazepines are required to control his symptoms and improve his lifestyle.

I generally prescribe a short course of drugs like Escitalopram, Clonazepam and Propranolol to my patients with such symptoms.

Please check with your physician if he shares my view and if can prescribe these pills to you.

Post your further queries if any,
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D