What causes fecal incontinence with anal fistula?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 5 May 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: i have been having some bowel problems for a while leaking feaces. and now am feeling poo coming out of my vagina while on the toliet and i have been waiting for my hosipital appointment for 5 months
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Fecal incontinence with Fistula.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.

Most likely you are having Fecal incontinence. Fecal incontinence is the inability to control bowel movements, causing stool (feces) to leak unexpectedly from the rectum.Nerve damage. Injury to the nerves that sense stool in the rectum or those that control the anal sphincter can lead to fecal incontinence.

Tests advised are-

Digital rectal examination to check the patency of rectal muscles.
MRI defecography. Magnetic resonance imaging of the pelvis can be performed, potentially while a person moves her bowels on a special commode. This can provide information about the muscles and supporting structures in the anus, rectum, and pelvis.
Colonoscopy can also be done.

Stool passing through vagina can be because of Rectovaginal fistula.
A rectovaginal fistula is an abnormal connection between the lower portion of your large intestine, rectum and your vagina. Bowel contents can leak through the fistula, allowing gas or stool to pass through your vagina. Again a contrast enhanced MRI should be done to rule out the path of fistula.

Let me know if I can assist you further.
Regards!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee