What causes fast herat beats?

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi Doc. My name is XXXX. My question is I toke felodipine er 10 mg this morning around 9:00 however I m experiencing fast heart beat at 2:00. I check blood pressure so 117/81/97.please help. Thank you so much!
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Quick drop in blood pressure due to Felodipine....

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX

First, try to calm down as nothing bad is happening to you.

As I go through your blood pressure reading, I notice that your heart rate is 97 which is perfectly normal. Your blood pressure is also perfectly normal.

Felodipine appartains to the group of drug called calcium-blockers. They cause dilatation of peripheral blood vessels, thus, reducing peripheral resistence. In this way, your heart will find it easier to pump blood preventing spikes in blood pressure.

One of the side effects of such drugs is quick drops in blood pressure. This is what you have experienced: quick drop in blood pressure. Your heart is responding with fast heart beats.

Another reason to experience fast heart beats is stress/anxiety you got from what is happening to you right now.

Try to calm down, nothing worrisome. If you have atenolol or metoprolol (beta-blocker) you can take a dosage now. Take a good chamomile or valerian tea or pill to calm you down.

Monitor your blood pressure. If it will be this low in the afternoon, do not take the other medication for today. You should report this episode to your doctor/cardiologist as you need to adjust dosage of Felodipine or perhaps you need to change therapy.

All the best!
Dr.Albana