• question-icon

What causes eye floaters in a type 2 diabetic patient?

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Hi, My name is XXXXXXX I am 67 years old. I am diabetic (type 2) taking metformine, insulin and Invocana as well as metoprolol and Norvasc for hypertension.
I'm doing regular checking of my eyes, and up till now I didn't have any major problems.
But several days ago something happened to my left eye: periodically I see something like bright flying objects, sometimes even like lightnings. It is getting worse when I come into a darker room. It doesn't get worse so far but neither does it get better. Should I go to a hospital or wait and see my doctor? Your answer is much appreciated.

Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You should see an opthalmologist

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I have gone through your query.
Based on the information provided by you, I feel that you are having eye floaters. Usually they are benign findings that can occur more likely between 50-70 years of age.
These occasional floaters are harmless. The only problem is that when these floaters appear suddenly and persist they might be a sign of problem like retinal tear or detachment.
The sudden appearance of floaters in one eye is the primary symptom of posterior vitreous separation. These floaters usually appear in the vision slightly to the side from where one looks and might be accompanied with flashes of light.

This is why in every case of sudden appearance of eye floaters, a consult with an ophthalmologist is always recommend

This provisional advice provided by me is based entirely on the input provided to me. I would suggest examination by the doctor.

I hope this suggestion might be of some help to you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Harish Naik