What causes extreme tiredness after an injury?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Accident and Emergency
Question: I was in a major car accident 5 days ago and was feeling ok , even good enough to do yard work . Minor bruising & a big bump on back of my head but no blurred vision or nausea . Today however I feel extreme fatigue for the first time . Is that normal ?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You should consult neurologist.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Unfortunately its hard to tell if your tiredness is a serious symptom or not. Usually such symptom appears few days after an injury. So we can say that tiredness 5 days after injury sometimes appears and does not indicate anything serious.
However you never know if tiredness is not caused by some brain bleeding. And brain bleeding can give symptoms even few weeks after an injury. Tiredness is one of them.
That is why I suggest you to consult neurologist. Its too risky to ignore such symptom. Most likely this is nothing serious, but without proper examination no one can reassure you.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon