What causes excessive heat and sweating in the head along with chest discomfort?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi, my current worry is a constant hot head and sweaty. Also discomfort on the left side of my chest. The hot head comes on in the afternoon. I can exercise without breathlessness but feel strange in the chest. My breath blowing test was ok and my blood tests were also ok. I have BP of average 140/90. I just feel that something is not right. I am 79 years of age. I do moderate exercise in a gym. I sleep reasonably well but often wake with a headache and have vivid dreams. I worry that my heart is the problem.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommned as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I passed carefully through your question and would explain that your symptoms don't seem to be related to any cardiac disorders.

The fact that your symptoms are triggered by psychological stress, indicates that anxiety is playing an important role in all this clinical scenario.

The headache characteristics that you describe are compatible with tension type headache, which is a common type of headache, related to psychological stress.

Blood pressure fluctuations could also mimic such clinical scenario.

For this reason, I would recommend you to closely monitor your blood pressure values frequently during the day, especially during the episodes of hot head or headache.

I would also recommend performing further tests:

- thyroid hormone levels to exclude possible thyroid dysfunction
- blood electrolytes for possible electrolyte imbalance
- PCR, ESR for inflammation
- fasting glucose for diabetes
- kidney and liver function tests.
- a resting ECG and cardiac ultrasound (considering the discomfort in left chest).

If all the above tests result normal, you should consider anxiety as the main cause of your complaints. In such case consulting with a specialist of this field (psychologist, psychotherapist) would be needed.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Wishing good health,

Dr. Iliri