What causes excessive drooling in an infant?

Posted on Wed, 27 Dec 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hi, my 7 month old baby has excessive drooling. his tshirt front becomes wet in half an hour. Is it normal? He makes sounds, eats semisolid mashed foods & is breastfed as well. He rolls over & back perfectly, crawls on stomach. He has not started sitting without support. He sits leaning on me when I keep him on my lap. Though he was born 3 weeks ahead of my EDD, since it just completed 37 weeks of gestation he is not preterm. Which month can I expect him to sit well on his own? Also is this drooling normal?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Observe the developmental milestones. If proper, no need to worry

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. The drooling is normal and not a cause for concern. Since you mention that the child is otherwise active, I guess there is no reason to worry. However, the muscle tone of the child needs to be assessed if the child does not attain developmental milestones in time. The child is expected to be able to sit without support by 8 months of corrected gestational age. In his case 3 weeks is to be added to the actual chronological age. So, the child is supposed to be able to sit well by 8 months and 3 weeks of age.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician