What causes erectile dysfunction after discontinuation of Azathioprine?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: my partner took 50 mg of azathioprine for 4-5 days then was advised to stop taking them two/three weeks ago. Now he is having erectile dysfunction. any advise- he is worried this is permanent.
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Wait and see

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking
I read your question and i understand your concern. Asathioprine does many things as adverse effect but erectile dysfunction is not one of them.
Erectile dysfunction is connected to many causes . Age related performance issue is commonest of all.
Focus on the blood workup for a while and give your coital freauency a rest for a while. Some times these issues self resolve. Sex therapist may be considered after the blood dilemma resolves.
I hope it helps. Take good care of your partner and yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.
Regards XXXXXXX