Suggest remedies for vitiligo

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 9 May 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Dear Sir,
My name is XXXXXXX 43 years old and i am from XXXXXXX XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Few weeks back i had developed few white patches of skin around my neck , armpit and thighs.
I met with skin doctor , who said it is Vitiligo disease and there is no cure or it may take very long time for it to cure.
Could you please advice me , if there is any other means of cure other than Allopathy or If there is any natural way of curing my skin condition?

Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Go with Allopathy

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX Thank you.
I a Dr. Kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.

Though, vitiligo may take a long time to respond and moreover it might not go away completely, however, there effective treatment options- both oral and topical, in vitiligo.
Topical treatment options mainly include steroid cream/ ointment, tacrolimus oint, psoralens (PUVASol) etc whereas systemic treatment options include phototherapy(PUVA and NBUVB), oral steroids and oral immunosuppressives like azathioprine etc.
Besides these there are surgical treatment options for resistant vitiligo patches ike punch grafting, suction blister grafting, autologous melanocyte culture and transplantation etc.
However there is no proven or recommended natural therapy for vitiligo hence I suggest you to only go with the advice of your treating dermatologist.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 20 hours later
Dear Dr. Kakkar,

Thank you for the information provided.

Just had one more followup question, could you please suggest me topical treatment or cream related to psoralens (puva sol) that i can buy in a medical shop and apply the same?

Thank you ,

Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Psoralens in vitiligo

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Psoralen based therapy should be used under the supervision of a dermatologist. The medication is available only on prescription - in a solution/ liquid form and an ointment form. It is effective if used judiciously and you may definitely use it at home.

The method of use needs to be thoroughly understood because there is a risk of phototoxic reaction and blister formation, if not used as per instructions. Hence I'd suggest you to kindly visit a local dermatologist in your area for a prescription and instructions regarding use of the same.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee