• question-icon

What causes elevated troponin levels while having hypertension?

Posted on Wed, 19 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: my husband has had a mild heart attack 3 weeks ago. blood work showed elevated troponin levels.
blood work, ecg, echo, exray and mri has been done while at the hospital. no further testing was done at the hospital but he was discharged after 2 days of only taking oral meds.
3 weeks pass and he is still having high blood pressure. today he fell to the floor with extreme weakness in his legs (BP was 198/125) 3 hours later he is down to 160/96
what other underlying issue could there be?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
He needs to get his blood pressure medications adjusted!

Detailed Answer:

With the high blood pressure and your husband falling, this raises concerns about possible hypertensive urgency. With a history of heart attack, I expect his blood pressure to be better managed. The medications are clearly not doing this which further exposes his heart to high levels of cardiac activity which are highly not advised at this time. I suggest that you talk to his cardiologist as soon as possible for this to be reviewed. Even without a heart attack in the hindsight, this pressure alone warrants immediate evaluation and management. We cannot allow such wide variations in him.

In all, medications not well adapted and need to be reviewed and adjusted.

I hope this guides and helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 4 hours later
Is it possible that this was a side effect of the medication or another heart attack?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
No, not likely another heart attack!

Detailed Answer:

Probably a side effect of the medications but we need to monitor these numbers to be able to understand more surely.

I wish you well and report a log of the blood pressure readings for review and further guidance.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Chobufo Ditah