What causes elevated blood pressure and pulse after taking Lorazepam?

Dr. Shubham Mehta

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 9 Sep 2015 in Mental Health
Question: my blood pressure is 136/94 with an 80 pulse after taking my lorazepam about 2 hours ago . should I seek emergency medical attention I have anxiety and been have panick attacks lately.
Answered by Dr. Shubham Mehta 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
no need to go to emergency.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to HCM.

I can understand your concerns.

In my opinion, your blood pressure and pulse rate are normal.

You need not worry about this.

Panic and anxiety can raise raise blood pressure and pulse due to sympathetic stimulation in body.

I do not think you need to visit emergency.

Stay relaxed. Drink a glass of cold water.
Take deep breaths and you will be fine.

Hope this helps.
I wish you good health.

Follow up: Dr. Shubham Mehta 5 minutes later
when is a time to become alarmed and seek medical attention with my blood pressure?
Answered by Dr. Shubham Mehta 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
when your blood pressure is persistently high.

Detailed Answer:
If your blood pressure remains persistently high above 180/110, then you must seek emergency medical care.

Thanks.