What causes echo in the left ear while talking?

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 14 Oct 2016 in General Health
Question: I have a strange issue of and echoing in my left ear when I talk.(Its not super loud) I have went to 2 ENT doctors lately and they seem to be puzzled in what I have. Essentially I have had this problem for about 6 weeks. Both Doctors prescribed me steroid ear drops with some antibiotic. One was lidex, the other was hydrocort. I have no itching in ears just a little sensation of clogged ear and slight dizziness. In fact when they gave me these drops, my dizzness and echoing got worse. Now its a little better after stop using it but its still there, any ideas? I had the audio-gram done, all, and pressure testing and Nothing was found supposedly, and my hearing is actually ok. I am just a little frustrated and not sure what to do. as I cannot talk to anybody as I always hear myself.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
Patulous Eustachian tube or Eustachian tube dysfunction...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

I sincerely apologize for the delay in answering your query.

The symptoms described by you could be related to either Patulous Eustachian tube (the tube connecting nose and the ear) or Eustachian tube dysfunction. Both of these conditions are self-limiting.

In Patulous Eustachian tube (PET), the tube remains patent thus leading to autophony or echoing. The commonest conditions suspected to cause this problem is loss of weight. Anxiety, stress and oral contraceptives can also cause PET.

Eustachian tube dysfunction (ETD) is a condition wherein the Eustachian tube doesn't perform its functions of opening and closing properly leading to ear discomfort, noise in the ear, dizziness, echoing, etc. Similar to PET, the cause of ETD is unknown. It is speculated that flu could be one of the predisposing factor of ETD.

Both the above conditions do resolve without much intervention. You can try using Intranasal steroid nasal spray and nasal decongestants. Use of any drops inside the ear may not be beneficial.

Hope this answers your query; revert back to me if you have any follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Thats what I thought, but supposedly one of the ENT stated that they did the pressure testing for that and turned out okay. I guess I might need a 2nd or 3rd opinion. Thanks for the update.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
Subtly changes may not be picked on tympanometric examination...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing back

Many a times, the tympanometry may not pick up subtle Patulous Eustachian Tube and Eustachian tube dysfunction. Hence, we have to rely on the history, when the other causes are ruled out.

Wish you good health and speedy recovery.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar 7 hours later
thank you!
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Wish you good health and good luck...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Wish you good health and good luck

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D