Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
142 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest treatment for severe ear congestion

Answered by
Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Practicing since :1991

Answered : 2589 Questions

Posted on Fri, 14 Apr 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have frequent blockage of my left ear. I can hear breathing sound in my left ear. I can’t also hear properly. I have consulted ear specialists who did the audiology test and found everything normal. I have hearing aids for both ears but use them only selectively. When I keep the jaw opened I don’t hear breathing sound. Is there something I can do ? Any ear drops? XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Patulous Eustachian Tube, Autophony.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. The most likely reason for these symptoms is a Patulous Eustachian Tube. The normally collapsed Eustachian Tube remains open leading to Autophony.

2. A Tympanogram (Impedance Audiogram) and a nasal endoscopy is required to make a diagnosis.

3. The possible causes linked to this rare condition are repeated upper respiratory tract or ear infections, weight loss, dehydration, exertion, excess of stimulants such as caffeine, hormonal imbalance and ear or nasal surgeries in the past. Loss of the Ostmann's pad of fat near and around the Eustachian tube opening is thought to be the major cause.

4. An extremely rare condition known as Superior Semicircular Canal Dehiscence (SSCD) can also cause Autophony. A plain HRCT Temporal Bones should be done.

5. Please upload these test results for discussing treatment options.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  HIV

doctor1 MD

Around my penis head there is a rush and small recurring ulcers. They dried out but comes sometimes again. Specially when erect. Doctor prescribed...

doctor1 MD

Hi, last night I found a growth on my boyfriend's penis that looks like a mole that has just developed over the past 2 weeks, also, everytime we...

doctor1 MD

I took a test n I m pregnant I ve had unprotected sex with my boyfriend cuz I m on the Nuva ring I had an unexpected 2 nights with my ex the first...

doctor1 MD

Hi I wasn't sure who to ask or what to do about this but i couldn't really ask my parents so I figured this would be the best place and hopefully...

doctor1 MD

I just had a mutual masturbation session with a sex worker However she removed her hand from inside her vagina and used it roughly on my penis in a...

doctor1 MD

i bought food the food was in a container with a plastic at the top covering the container how ever i notice the plastic on 1 container was...

doctor1 MD

Dear doctor thanks for your valuable reply however my further query is for last two weeks I have a mild rash under my eye which is persistent and...