What causes early morning vomiting in a child?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Wed, 9 Sep 2015 in General Health
Question: 7 year old vomited x1 in morning. Had urine test positive for ketones and negative glucose. Would this suggest diabetes?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
probably no

Detailed Answer:

ketones are produced not only when insulin is insufficient (like in diabetes) but also when fasting. Negative glucose means that the boy never had over 180mg/dL in his serum, which is unusual in diabetes particularly when diabetes is supposed to be uncontrolled (and producing ketones) or when the patient has an acute condition (like vomiting).

So the answer is that this result probably suggests a fasting state but diabetes cannot be 100% excluded (it would be a XXXXXXX though). A serum blood glucose would be more helpful.

Kind Regards!