What causes dull ear pain and throat pain?

Posted on Fri, 2 May 2014 in General Health
Question: My symptoms are as follow. I have a dull hurting in my right ear and to the very front of this ear off and on and a soreness or very slight hurting in my upper throat on the right side. These symptoms have been occurring off and on for about 6 wks or so. I have been seen by two doctors during this time and after examining my ear and throat have come up with nothing. Also, it seems almost simultaneously the join in m y right jaw began making a noise every time i chew, as if a bone on bone noise. Even though i had a very bad case of bronchitis, or head and cold chest, for 2 weeks during this time frame, which I have seemed recovered from for about a week , I am still experiencing the above symptoms and am very curious as to what is wrong. The slight hurting in my extreme right throat has been persistent for the past 17 hours. I completed taking a Z-Pac antibiotic about 5 days ago.
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Possible TMD Detailed Answer: Hi there... Thanks for writing in... The first possibility that comes to my mind is TMD (temporomandibular disorder). Excessive clenching or grinding of the teeth, stress, anxiety can all cause TMD. Avoid clenching or grinding of the teeth. Do relaxation exercises or yoga to reduce stress. I would advise you to keep a moist heat pack intermittently in the area of the jaw. A tablet of brufen might help relieve the pain. Have soft food like steamed veggies, scrambled eggs ,well cooked rice etc I would advise you to visit a dentist for confirmation of diagnosis of TMD or other possible causes like tooth infection, or gum diseases. Hope this information was helpful to you.. Regards, Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan
Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan