What causes double vision, fatigue and imbalance issues?

Psychiatrist
Question
I had a very difficult and mentally traumatic day yesterday. Was awake alot crying last night. Feel "out of sorts" today, off balance, trouble visually focusing/sometimes double vision. Very fatigued, almost feel "drunk". I am a nurse for an internal medicine doctor. Missed work yesterday because of the circumstances (my middle son, 14 has made the decision to move in with his father and transfer schools. This was a sudden decision and one I never saw coming. His other 2 siblings don't understand his decision either. My boys are my heart and soul and this is ripping me apart). Are these symptoms I am experiencing simply grief that I should deal with and move on, should I leave work today, or should I even be evaluated?
Posted Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Relationship

Answered by Dr. Manisha Gopal 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it's stress, continue to work& get therapy session

Detailed Answer:
I have read your query and can understand that it is a very difficult phase for you. As you said all symptoms began after your son decided to shift with his father- they all appear to be stress related. Stress can have varied presentation involving many organs.

I know right now it is difficult for you to focus on anything, and difficult to work either, but I must tell you (and you too know this fact) that the best way to come out of this is to face the situation & continue to work.
Going to work and distracting yourself will give you some piece of comfort..will give relief by helping the sick people (you are a nurse- a good nurse is more important than a doctor in treating patients).

Taking off from work, staying alone and not doing anything will only increase your pain.
You can also take an appointment with a psychologist or a psychiatrist and seek supportive counselling sessions. These therapy sessions will help you in cathersis and come out of grief.

Please try to get back in life- you have other kids to look after too. Moreover, it may happen that your son who decided to shift might find it to be a mistake & comes back. So, don't give up hope, life is full of miracles...

I think that all these symptoms are due to stress, will become better with time. You may see a physician if you feel much concerned & get an eye examination.

Avoid driving for some days as in stress one normally becomes prone for accidents. So, take care.

Wish you good health.
Please feel free to ask more queries if there are doubts.

Dr. Manisha Gopal
MD Neuropsychiatry