What causes dizziness in a person with BP of 141/93?

Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 9 Nov 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: What does a BP of 141/93 indicate? Patient is experiening dizziness and some nausea
How long before I get an answer? This could be critical?
Answered by Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is not critical

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

It is not critical. Don't worry. It is already good, that your blood pressure decreased from 169/120 to 141/93. Your dizziness and nausea can be caused from blood pressure fluctuations.

I could give you some more advises if you could tell the patient's usual blood pressure and heart rate, and if such fluctuations are common. Have the patient experienced high blood pressure before?
What is the patient's heart rate at the moment and does the patient take bystolic every day?

Follow up: Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 20 minutes later
HR is now in the 80s. Was 96 when BP was 169/120
Answered by Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Welcome back

Detailed Answer:

After 169/120 mm Hg blood pressure with heart rate of 96 bpm, 141/93 with 80 bpm is a very good result. So don't worry. I would advise the patient to lie down and measure blood pressure in 2 hours.