• question-icon

What causes dizziness after nephrectomy?

Posted on Fri, 5 Sep 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Question: I am two weeks post nephrectomy due to clear cell carcinoma in left kidney. Decent recovery so far, however, I am experiencing increasing dizziness in the past few days. I saw my cardiologist on Thursday to integrate and inform them of my recent procedure. Wanted to make sure my medications were in line with current conditions. Am 5'8" 230 lbs, 55 years old. BP was averaging 106/64 the past few days, stopped my low dose losinopril 2.5mg. Lost 16 lbs post surgery. I have read that dizziness is a post surgical complication that will pass. Am now concerned, possible DVT ? Or is this just normal recovery indication?
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be due to decreased intake of fluids

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day

Dear Mr XXXX

It is unlikely to be due to DVT. DVT usually causes Swelling and pain in affected limb. If there is Pulmonary embolism , it leads to breathlessness. The symptom of dizziness usually does not fit into this clinical situation.
The most common cause of dizziness post surgically is due to decreased consumption of fluids and nutrition. Your blood pressure is on lower side 100/64 ( I guess your previous baseline blood pressure was on higher side) in spite of having stopped anti-hypertensive drug Lisinopril. Going by this value, the likely cause of dizziness is due to Hypotension. Hypotension has been due to decreased consumption of fluids.

I would suggest you the following

1. Adequate rest
2. Ensure water intake of 2-3 litre a day
3. Regular quantity of meals

Do keep me updated about the progress

Take Care

Best Regards
Dr T Shobha Deepak
MBBS,MD
Dr. T Shobha Deepak