question-icon

What causes dizziness after a popping sensation at the back of the head?

Posted on Thu, 12 May 2016
Question: I HAD JUST WOKEN UP AND WAS TALKING TO MY HUSBAND WHEN i FELT SOMETHING POP IN THE BACK OF MY HEAD AND PROCEEDED TO FEEL DIZZY AND MY EYES ROLLED BACK IN MY HEAD. iT LASTED FOR A FEW MINUTES AND THEN i WAS VERY SICK TO MY STOMACH. wHAT COULD CAUSE THIS
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Small stroke vs. simple seizures.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Two are most probable conditions that may be related to your symptoms.

1. a small stroke, or transient ischemic attack of the posterior brain blood circulation ( especially if you suffer from high blood pressure and/or arrhythmia )

2. a seizure ( simple partial seizure since there was no loss of consciousnes )

In both cases a neurological examination and evaluation is needed to have a correct understanding of your condition, and, if indicated by neurological findings, imaging studies such brain MRI.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Greetings.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical