What causes discomfort feeling at the site of kidney biopsy?

Excellent

Question
I had kidney biopsy last tuesday. There was no blood in urine just normal clot like red pieces and I was discharged from hospital same day after 5 hrs observation. The pain was normal as it should be. Then on friday after taking bath my husband removed my bandage. I felt little pain and then suddenly in few seconds I fainted. I fainted for a min or so. My husband called ambulance. Every test was normal at hospital and Dr. said this happened because of bandage removal and they discharged me. After that I started feeling stiff inside at Biopsy site. Outside I don't have any bruise or stiffness whatsoever after Biopsy. I only feel stiffness and discomfort and little continuous pain. Please explain my situation. Should I see dr.
Posted Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Cardiac evaluation required.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXX,

Thanks for posting your concern in the HCM.

As you have already said that you were examined clinically and after investigation, it was concluded that there was no complication related to the biopsy, I don't think there is much of concern regarding any iatrogenic complication. The most frequent complication of percutaneous renal biopsy is bleeding and consequent macrohematuria or local hematoma formation.

As you have been, provisionally diagnosed as a case of IgA nephropathy, my understanding is even if you test for routine urine examination, you may find RBC in the urine. Even hematuria may also occur. So, clinical examination by your local doctor and relevant examination like imaging can only exclude any such complication related to the percutaneous biopsy.

Secondly, stiffness may occur locally, even in the absence of any internal complication. Local pain may also occur, more so immediately after removal of the dressing.

But, if you had a fainting attack, I would suggest you to get examined clinically by a cardiologist to rule out any other comorbidity, e.g. cardiac arrhythmia, which may be completely unrelated and an incidental finding.

From your medication history, I can already find that you are having treatment for hypertension and dyslipidemia and you already have arteriosclerosis. So, any cardiac complication of Coronary artery disease should be excluded, more so in a setting where your renal function is compromised. Therefore, cardiologist opinion is necessary.

Diet and water intake should be as per your nephrologist's opinion to avoid fluid overload.
You should also avoid stress and have adequate rest.

If you have any further query, please write back to me.
Please inform me in case you have any further symptoms or similar fainting attack.
Regards.
Dr. Kaushik

Follow-up: What causes discomfort feeling at the site of kidney biopsy? 9 hours later
Thanks for your guidance. Same question got posted automatically. Cardiac evaluation done. Everything was normal. I posted my question to Nephrologist.

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Congratulation and wish you early recovery

Detailed Answer:
Thanks XXXXXX for your feedback. I am happy to learn that your cardiac evaluation came out to be normal.
I am also glad that you have sought nephrologist's opinion.
If you need any further help, you can write back and I shall try my level best to solve your query.
If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it.
For any new query regarding your health, you can always ask me directly @ http://www.HealthcareMagic.com/doctors/dr-kaushik-sarkar/68460