What causes discomfort and tingling sensation in wrist and thumb?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2014
Apr 2014
Excellent

Radiologist
Question
Hi, I had an MRI with contrast today. The phlebotomist had difficulty finding a vein so decided to go for a vein in my inner wrist right at the base of my thumb. Although he was using a pediatric needle, no sooner did he put the needle in, it sent a horrible shock through my arm, hand and most importantly my thumb. Then my whole hand and particularly my thumb tingled as if it were asleep. It was several hours before it subsided. But, now this evening I'm still having discomfort and tingling in the wrist and thumb. Is there something I can do to relieve the pain?
Posted Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Veins and Arteries

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can take analgesics if you have severe pain.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing to HCM

Your history suggests that probably needle had touched nerve during canulation.
Normally it only gives pricking sensation during insertion of needle in vein.

Don't worry,it happens some times in difficult canulation where veins are very thin and are not visualized properly.

It will subside after time.Your doctor has rightly suggested for hot fomentation.You can continue this.
If you are felling severe pain then oral analgesics can also be taken.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX