Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
125 Doctors are Online

What causes difficulty in walking?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5165 Questions
I had difficulty walking for a few minutes this morning. The symptoms dissipated after about 10 minutes. I am a 65 year old male in excellent health. I go to the gym 6 days a week, eat a sound diet and get 7 - 8 hours of sleep daily.
Posted Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Explained below

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case,

I would like to ask further details so that I can help you better,

You had difficulty in walking due to pain in which joint knee? back ?
This was first time you had such symptoms?

Do you have multiple joint pain?
Was there any imbalance while walking?

Waiting for your reply.

Wishing you good health.

Take care
Dr Vaibhav

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes difficulty in walking? 2 hours later
I did not experience pain - it was more like tightness in my hamstrings that made it difficult to walk. There are no joint issues. I have not experienced this before.
It seems to me that it may have been a combination of tight hamstrings and dehydration. I drank about 16 oz of water and things improved - though that may not be a cause an effect relationship. My fear was that it was something serious.
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Taking diet rich in calcium and potassium

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.
Muscle tightness can be reduced by
Massaging the tight muscle with your hands or oil gently,
drinking plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration,
stretching your leg muscles or riding a stationary cycle.
Taking diet rich in calcium and potassium or oral supplements of the same
Check your vit B12 and Vit D 3 levels.

Till time, avoid lifting weights, you can consult physiotherapist for help.
Physiotherapy like ultrasound and interferential therapy will give quick relief.

If symptoms remain persistent then you may need to consult your doctor or neuro specialist.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor