What causes difficulty in walking?

Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I had difficulty walking for a few minutes this morning. The symptoms dissipated after about 10 minutes. I am a 65 year old male in excellent health. I go to the gym 6 days a week, eat a sound diet and get 7 - 8 hours of sleep daily.
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Explained below

Detailed Answer:
Hello

I have studied your case,

I would like to ask further details so that I can help you better,

You had difficulty in walking due to pain in which joint knee? back ?
This was first time you had such symptoms?

Do you have multiple joint pain?
Was there any imbalance while walking?

Waiting for your reply.

Dr Vaibhav

Follow up: Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 2 hours later
I did not experience pain - it was more like tightness in my hamstrings that made it difficult to walk. There are no joint issues. I have not experienced this before.
It seems to me that it may have been a combination of tight hamstrings and dehydration. I drank about 16 oz of water and things improved - though that may not be a cause an effect relationship. My fear was that it was something serious.
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Taking diet rich in calcium and potassium

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.
Muscle tightness can be reduced by
Massaging the tight muscle with your hands or oil gently,
drinking plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration,
stretching your leg muscles or riding a stationary cycle.
Taking diet rich in calcium and potassium or oral supplements of the same
Check your vit B12 and Vit D 3 levels.

Till time, avoid lifting weights, you can consult physiotherapist for help.
Physiotherapy like ultrasound and interferential therapy will give quick relief.

If symptoms remain persistent then you may need to consult your doctor or neuro specialist.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.