• question-icon

What causes difficulty in remembering words and slurred speech in older women?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Elderly Problems
Question: Hi,
While helping my 87-year old grandmother get ready for bed a few minutes ago she had a great deal of difficulty remembering words and was replacing those words with gibberish. I know that's a sign of a stroke, but except for complaining of being extremely tired, she wasn't displaying any other symptoms. Is this a normal aging-related problem or do I need to take her to the hospital?
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need some more details.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist,here to answer your query.

I understand your concerns well and I'll make best efforts to address them.
I need to know some more details about your grandmother's symptoms-
1)What do you want to say by 'gibberish'?What did you ask and what did she say?Was it totally incomprehensible?
2)Is there any weakness in extremities?
3)Is there a facial deviation?
4)Does she have any past medical disease like Diabetes,Hypertension or Heart disease?

I shall be glad to have you in follow-up with details so that I can answer this well.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Ajay Panwar 1 hour later
Thank you for getting back to me. As for your follow up questions:

1) She couldn't come up with the word sweet potato and called it a few gibberish words such as nufata. Nor could she repeat the word once I figured out what she was talking about and had said, "Do you mean sweet potato?" The reply was yes, "muffle". A few minutes later we had the following exchange:
Her: What else am I threatening?
Me: Threatening? Do You mean forgetting?
Her: No, I'm just trying to decided what I feel like.
Me: Feel like for what? Which pajamas you want?
Her: No. Nothing. I'm just reaching for my tumerin.
I still haven't figured out what she was trying to say for that one.
She's in bed now, but was much clearer for the remainder of the time she was awake (about an hour).

2) No
3) NO
4) She is on medication for hypertension.
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs stroke evaluation.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Thanks for being in follow-up with further details.

This appears to be a definite language dysfunction.If these symptoms are acute in onset and were not present previously,then it becomes mandatory to get her evaluated for stroke.MRI of brain needs to be done.
I suggest you to take her to a neurological facility.

Hope that I have answered your query.If you have some further questions,I shall be glad to have you in follow-up else please close the thread,rate it and write a review.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist