What causes diarrhoeal episode after treating a compound fracture?

Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 15 Sep 2015 in Lump
Question: My wife had surgery on her hand eight days ago. She suffered a compound fracture while in a swimming pool. A local surgeon operated on her hand, cleaned the wound and put a long pin in an attempt to repair the two metacarple that were fractured. She seemed ok, but recently she's had three to four huge bowl movemnets and she seems pale and weak. Should I take her to emergency now?
Hey, XXXX. You got my money. Where is my answer? My wife does not have a temperature. She seems pale and week. She suffered a compound fracture of two metacarpal bones in her left hand eight days ago. Since the fracture occurred in an indoor, salt water, swimming pool, the surgeon operated on her, cleaned the wound, and inserted a pin. I took her back to the surgeon on Friday because her hand was turning yellow, blue and some other color. The surgeon loosened the bandage a bit and said she was OK. I took her home, but I'm concerned because she has had four or five large, formed bowl movements. She also seems pale and complains of being weak. Should I take her to the ER? You got my money, now give me my answer.
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please take her to Emergency room.

Detailed Answer:

Diarheal episode after treatment of compound fracture could be due to antibiotic prescribed after treatment or may be unrelated (new infection) to the previous condition. Since she is weak and seems dehydrated, it would be advisable to start rehydration in the form of intravenous fluids. Therefore emergency room visit would be worthwhile.

If she is unwilling to visit ER, I encourage her to drink plenty of fluids along with oral rehydration salts. Start pre and probiotics. Antidiarrheal medication should be started only after a physical visit to the doctor (either at the ER / or her treating doctor).

These symptoms are not related to surgical procedure.

Hope I answered your query. If you have any questions, I will clarify further.
Wish her good health and speedy recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad