What causes diarrhea with history of diverticulitis?

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have had diarrhea on and off for 24 hrs. Strong abdominal cramps. First 12 hrs stool had bright
Red blood. Strong metallic taste on tongue, and heartburn last night. Took Pepto, now tongue is green. Today stool looks furry and green. Had a little relief last night but cramping and going again this morning. Had diverticulitis about 6 years ago. Have RA, not on any meds.
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Go to ER...

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

I have gone through your medical history and I highly suggest to run to ER as soon as possible.

You have a history of diverticulitis, which is characterized of "flare-ups" episodes, which I think is happening to you know as you are reporting to have diarrhea with bright red blood in stool.

You might be having a relapse of diverticulitis. You need a more specific medical attention and intra-venous fluid together with perfusion antibiotics to dominate the flare ups.

For the moment, I advise to drink plenty of fluids with OTC O.R.S and run to ER.

Wish fast recovery!
Dr.Klerida