question-icon

What Causes Diarrhea When Diagnosed With Acute Gastroenteritis?

Posted on Wed, 25 Oct 2017
Question: I have had loose stool for days now the color is yellow and orange and smells like raw onions. What could it be?.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Acute Gastroenteritis.

Detailed Answer:

Your symptoms refer mostly to an acute gastroenteritis (infection of bowels). - For the time being, I'd suggest to drink more water, take tasectan, probiotics to stop diarrhea and oral rehydration salts (O.R.S) for dehydration.
If your diarrhea and pain do not have any improvement within a couple of days, then, should go for some more investigations to identify the real culprit. I'd suggest, then, to do an abdominal ultrasound, fecal examination for ova/parasites, feces occult blood, leucocytes in feces, and complete blood profile.

Hope it answered to your question!

Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist