Owl Image

What causes diarrhea in an infant?

Owl Image
Dr. Meera Kotecha

Pediatrician

Question
my baby is 5 months old and is on breastfeed as well folmula feed since last 4 days his poo is very loose and he is doing poo in every 2 hrs i copnsulted my GP he prescribed Isomil Soy based formula feed after which he was in so much pain and he kept crying whole night bt still my GP is asking us to avoid breastfeed for few days and to continue isomil...still my baby's poo is to loose
Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Meera Kotecha 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you can give breast feed

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using health care magic.
In my opinion you can continue breast feed. There is no need to withhold breastfeeding.
Also there is no need to give soy based formula.
Along with that also give him oral zinc 10 mg dialy for 14 days. It may be a couple of days before his poo becomes normal.
If he does not improve in next two to three days then get his stool sample checked.
I hope I have helped you.
If you have any other query please feel free to ask.
Thank you
Dr. Meera kotecha

Follow-up: What causes diarrhea in an infant? 20 minutes later
Thank u so much for your response dr XXXXXXX i have already done his stool check twice report is all normal except some sugar reducing level is 5%.
Please help

Answered by Dr. Meera Kotecha 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
continue breast feed

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for your feed back.
Even if reducing substance in stool is present then also breast feeding should be continued.
Give zinc. Give probiotic like enterogermina.
I hope I have helped you.
If you have further query please feel free to ask.
Thank you
Dr XXXXXXX kotecha