• question-icon

    What causes diarrhea, fever and vomiting?

Posted on Thu, 7 Jun 2018 in Child Health
Question: My son is 18 month old, he is continuously vomiting and going motions after eating/drinking yesterday morning onwards. However we consulted doctor he confirmed it is stomach virus and two days need to ensure child not get dehydrated. He instructed to give ORS 100ml for every vomiting/motion. He also gave Ondem syrup for vomiting. But my question upto evening child doesn’t have fever but now he is having 101 fever is it ok or it’s an emergency.
Also note he is under antibiotic course from last few days due to upper respiratory tract infection.
At present we are giving him the ORS frequently.
Answered by Dr. Shuba Hariprasad 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hydrate well, symptomatic treatment. Clarifications please

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for your query.
I'm Dr. Shuba Hariprasad and will be answering your query today.

Would you clarify a few things for me, please?
* how long has he had the upper respiratory tract infection?
*what antibiotic is he on for that? Did the loose stools start after that?
*what color is his vomit and stools? Any blood or mucus?
*how is his urine quantity and color?
*does he cry before passing stools? Any rash around the anal area?
*does he willingly drink or eat?
*how is his activity level? Does he seem lethargic or sleepy?
* does he have any other medical issues or take any medications?
* what is his weight?

Fever is a warning sign and a temperature of 101 is not an emergency.
I recommend :
- hydrate him well with water and ors.
-give few sips at a time every 5-10 minutes
-monitor his urine quantity and frequency. Use cloth napkins, not diapers.
-Paracetamol according to his weight
-avoid milk and sugar
-zn supplement, lactobacillus (after talking to his doctor)

If he is still himself (some tiredness is expected) and you are able to hydrate him (his urine is light colored and he is up and playing), then continue what you are doing.
If fever persists beyond 2 days or increases or if he gets lethargic (difficult to wake from sleep or seems out of energy, unable to play/walk, no tears whole crying or concentrated urine), take him to the doctor right away.

Please get back to me with the above requested clarifications so that I may help you further.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.
Wish you all good health.

Dr. Shuba Hariprasad
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Answered by
Dr. Shuba Hariprasad

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2002

Answered : 1087 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

133 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Shuba Hariprasad
  • Q - What causes severe kidney pain with a history of kidney stones?

  • Q - What causes weakness, fatigue, burping, nausea and concentration problems?

  • Q - How do Probiotics help in treating acne?

  • Q - Suggest remedies for a bruise on chin post an injury

  • Q - Does prolonged intake of Nexium result in memory loss and alzheimers?

  • Q - What causes blurry vision, low BP, constant headache and chest pain?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for swelling through out body in a heart patient

  • Q - Does intake of Zincovit help in curing yawing, lethargy and memory issues?

  • Q - Suggest remedy for reddish scaly lesions on face

  • Q - What causes lower abdominal pain, frequent urination and bladder leakage?