What causes diarrhea after having antibiotics?

Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf

Posted on Sat, 24 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: Have been on an antibotic 2 different times in the last month. Stopped taking it 2 days ago as instructed. I have had watery stool since ending it two days ago. Gurlging stomach sounds but no fever or blood in the stool. Will this continue until the antibiotic is out of my system?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Usually resolves in few days

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thank You for contacting HCM. My name is Dr Muhammad Ali Rauf & i will look into your problem.

I have gone through your query and would try to help you in the best possible way. Sometimes antibiotics causes GI upset and it takes few days to resolve completely with following symptomatic care:

> Take lots of fluids (water, juices)
> Metronidazole thrice a day for 2 days

> Foods that should help include:
- Boiled potatoes
- Toast
- Plain crackers such as saltines
- Baked chicken without any skin or fat

AVOID:
- Milk, butter, ice cream, and cheese
- fatty food
- Alcohol and caffeine drinks
- Foods that cause excess gas like cabbage, beans, broccoli, and cauliflower

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help if not then don't forget to close the discussion and rate it.
Wishing you good health !!
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 5 minutes later
What is metronidazole? Sounds like i would need prescription for that
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Its an anti-diarrheal medication

Detailed Answer:
hello

thank you for the follow up query.

Actually in some areas you can get it OTC while in others you need a prescription. It is an anti-diarrheal medication and has shown good results in such cases. I would suggest you to follow the above mentioned measures for 1-2 days. If condition improves then continue for another 3 days BUT if condition remains same or aggravates then you need to visit your nearest doctor to get the prescription.

Feel free to get back for if you have any further query.
Thank You