What causes delayed periods?

Posted on Wed, 10 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: Hi. I had sex the 6th of the month. We did not use protection and he did not finish inside me. I should have started my period on the 12-13th, but have not. I was on birth control for a couple months and stopped back in January. In March my period was a week early. My period before birth control started towards the end of the month. Since this incident, in have taken a couple pregnancy tests and each have said negative. I am 7-8 days late on my period. Do you think I am pregnant or my period is just off??
Answered by Dr. Divakara 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely to be pregnant.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Greetings from Dr.Divakara. P

First of all I need to know for how many days your usual monthly cycle lasts?

As per your words you were expecting your next period on 12th or 13th, so on 6th of this month it would be 24th day or 22nd day of your menstrual cycle .

The chances of pregnancy will be high during 12th to 18th day of menstrual cycle chances of you being pregnant is very unlikely .

My advise to you is to for a week more and in this week your periods will start again.

Hope this information was useful to you.
Any clarification feel free to ask.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Divakara 8 minutes later
Yes. I had sex the 6th of the month and mynoeriod usually arrives the 12 or 13th of the month. My period is on a 28 day cycle and usually lasts anywhere from 4-7 days. Like I said I have taken a pregnancy test today and it read negative. I know that it takes 11 days for the egg to implant. But HCG should be present in the urine by now. So likelihood of me being pregnant is low? Why else would I be so late? I mean it was a week early in March....
Answered by Dr. Divakara 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It could be due to stress or hormones.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

As said earlier it is very unlikely for you to be pregnant, but still urine pregnancy tests need not always be correct. If you want more surety you need to get Serum beta Hcg levels which will give more definitive results.

Now coming to the cause of your delayed periods it can happen due to many reasons.

Simple reasons like stress , tension, residual effect of your birth control pills, malnutrition etc to certain problems in uterus , ovaries or hormones can delay the period.

My advise is to wait for a week more and still it doesn't happen then you can consult a gynecologist for the evaluation of cause.

Just wait for a week more.

Regards.
Dr. Divakara