What causes delay in unblocking of the blocked ear tube after a cold despite proper treatment?
I had dizziness and vomiting 20 days back and went to a local doctor, he said it is pheripheral Vertigo and suggested me Vertin 16Mg tablets for 3 days. the dizziness was slowly turning down but not completely gone. after few days I have my left ear blocked and all I hear is just a continuous pin point sound , I went to ENT doctor and she said it is because of cold that you got earlier and the bacteria has reached ear from nose, she told me to steam daily, gave me levoflox and montair along with vertin 16 Mg . After using them, my ear is still not good, I still have that blockage and dizziness is about 5%. Please suggest me why it is taking so long for this to get into control, is it normal to take this long in these situations and symptoms.
Eustachian tube blockage with vertigo
All the symptoms mentioned by you are suggestive of eustachian tube blockage caused by nasal congestion. This can cause labyrinthitis and hence vertigo.
The symptoms can take some time for complete relief.
My suggestions are:
1. Take a combination of Levocetirzine plus Phenylephrine twice daily instead of Montair.
2. Put Xylometazoline nasal drops three times a day for a week and take steam inhalation.
3. Chew a gum, this will help to decongestant the Eustachian tube and relieve symptoms.
4. Continue with the rest of the medicine as prescribed.
Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal, ENT Specialist
I will take 3 tablets along with steam inhalation and nasal drops then:
Vertin 16mg - thrice a day
Levocetrizine - twice a day
Phenylepherine - twice a day
Can you please confirm
Eustachian tube blockage.
Levocetirzine and Phenylephrine can be taken in combination. Take the antibiotic also to complete a week of Course.
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal,
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Cold sore treatment causes
- Wht is the cause and treatment for cold
- Cold and wheezing asthmatic collapsed causes and treatment
- Blocked ears after a cold
- What causes cold sensation inside the ears
- Suggest treatment for cold and ear pain
- What is the homeopathy treatment for cold
- What causes cold sensation in ears
- Ear blocked due to cold will cause buzzing sound
- What is the cause and treatment for cold sores